Monday, April 25, 2011

High Adrenaline - Shorter Club!



I really like Luke Donald, in fact he is one of my favorite golfers and is having one of the best years of his career. But I want to talk about his decision making on his last few holes on Sunday at the Heritage Classic. Luke found himself in-between clubs on the 2nd and 3rd hole of the playoff against Brandt Snedeker. He made the decision to take the longer club and swing easy or "take a bit off" and I believe it cost him the tournament hitting both shots short of his target.


Most of the time I would tell all my players to do the exact same thing - take more club. However in Luke's situation, he needed to take the short club and go after it. Instead, he took a longer club and swung too easy leaving both shots in the front bunker. In playoff atmosphere your adrenaline is much higher than in the middle of a round. Its easy to find a little extra strength when the adrenaline is high. If you find yourself in a high adrenaline moment and you are in between clubs, take the shorter club and make the best swing you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment